Clinical Grants and Contracts Branch (CGCB)
The Clinical Grants and Contracts Branch (CGCB) manage a multidisciplinary research portfolio which includes translational research grants and cooperative agreements. The CGCB portfolio is concentrated in the areas of clinical oncology, surgical oncology and pharmacogenomics. These program areas are focused on the development of investigative clinical agents, related correlative studies, novel treatment regimens, and clinical and surgical methods development.
CGCB program staff participates in the planning, implementation and management of the Clinical Trials Networks and other clinical consortia engaged in evaluating novel modalities for cancer treatment and management. CGCB program staff participates in extramural policy solicitation, formulation and budget development and assist with the management of the CTEP-sponsored clinical trials portfolio.
CGCB Program Directors (PDs) manage the scientific, technical, administrative and fiscal aspects of CTEP's extramural clinical research portfolio. PDs are responsible for, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- ensuring that research project grants are scientifically and programmatically sound and technically appropriate
- evaluating clinical research proposals for adherence to existing DCTD, NCI and NIH regulations and policies
- reviewing the existing and pending grant portfolio to ensure a proper scientific balance, in addition to identifying and correcting areas with scientific gap and/or overlap
- discovering and promoting new areas of scientific investigation and developing plans to exploit promising new therapeutic agents, modalities and treatment strategies
- advising extramural investigators on funding opportunities, mechanisms, and grant application processes and promoting grantee interactions with other resources both internal and external to NCI
- managing CTEP UM1 and U01-funded consortia such as the Adult Brain Tumor Consortium (ABTC), the Blood and Marrow Clinical Trial Network (BMTCTN), and the Cancer Immunotherapy Trials Network (CITN)
- participating in NCI/NIH intramural/extramural working groups
About the Branch Chief
Vikram Devgan, Ph.D., MBA. joined the National Cancer Institute in 2016 as a Chief of Clinical Grants and Contracts Branch of the Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP), Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis. From 2006 to 2016, Dr. Devgan held positions of increasing responsibilities with QIAGEN Inc., rising to Head of the Center of Excellence for Biological Research Content. More…